November 12, 2008

Chronicle of a Trek Foretold


In 1998 I arrived to Chile with the same goal as every other turista: trekking Torres del Paine.

In addition to a bunch of stuff I did not need, my beastly Lowe pack held Clem Lindenmeyer’s Trekking in the Patagonian Andes. It did not fail me. On trial runs at Parque Nacional Chiloe and Parque Nacional Alerce Andino I faced swarms of horseflies and hip-deep mud. Try that in jeans. Eventually I navigated my way to Torres: thoroughly schooled, loving even the headwind (no tábanos there!) and the sculpted designs of mountain, river, steppe.

Well, it’s time to crack this book once more, but this time I’m doing the writing. That’s right: dream job.

From November through February I’ll be hoofing my way across Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego. Figuring out how to get there, what to pack, what to leave behind. Stuff will go right. Stuff will go wrong. Miles will be trod, blisters patched and friendships forged. Or maybe I'll go howling mad from the weeks on end alone. It's hard to tell.

I'll be logging the trip right here. Your comments and thoughts are welcome!

1 comment:

Meg Simone said...

Ohhh! This is making me want to join in on the treck! I know I will at least read along every post of the way... kind of wish I was there to experience every "step" of the way! Hasta Leugo?? > Haven't taken a lick of espanol since la universidad... eek!